cream-colored ware, white granite ware (Mains and Fitzgerald 1877; Goldberg 1998:36-37)
“In the spring of 1863, Mr. Charles Coxon built two kilns on the present site, which with auxiliary buildings, formed a frontage of one hundred feet on Clinton Avenue. Shortly afterwards an addition of thirty-three feet was made to the frontage. In August of that year, Mr. John F. Thompson entered into a co-partnership with Mr. Coxon, and the firm became Coxon and Thompson. The manufacture of C.C. ware was commenced, on the opening of the pottery by Mr. Coxon, which met with success. At the end of the first year the manufacture of W.G. ware was begun, which also was successful. The business progressed so well, that in three years it was found necessary to erect another kiln and increase the frontage to eighty-two feet, making a total of four hundred and fifteen feet by three hundred and two feet in depth. At the period the original working capacity was doubled. In July 1869, about six years after he had started the enterprise which met with such deserved success, Mr. Coxon died. His interest passed to his widow, Mrs. Mary Coxon, who is still in the firm. Mr. Thompson retired in the spring of 1870, having sold his interest to Messrs. James E. Darrah and M.M. Bateman. The firm name was then changed to Coxon & Co.” (Mains & Fitzgerald 1877).
Additional historical information can be found in Woodward and Hageman 1883:691 and Goldberg 1998:36-37.
R.G. Dun & Company Collection, Mercer County. 1865-1869. 2 :351.
“The Manufactories of Trenton. Article II. The Pottery Trade.” Trenton State Gazette, Monday, August 27, 1866.
Webb, and Thomas F. Fitzgerald. 1867-1868. “The Trenton Directory, Containing a List of the Inhabitants, Together with a Business Directory and Other Information Valuable to the Citizen and Stranger.” Directory. Webb & Fitzgerald, New York, New York.
J.H. Lant & Co. 1868-1869. “The Trenton City Directory, for 1868 1869, Containing the Names of the Inhabitants, Together with a Business and Street Directory of the City, Business Directory of Mercer Co., and an Appendix of Valuable Information.” pp. 187 188. Vannote & Yard, Trenton, New Jersey.
Mains, Bishop W. and Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1877-1879. “Mains and Fitzgerald’s Trenton, Chambersburg and Millham Directory: Containing the Names of the Citizens, Statistical Business Report, Historical Sketches, a List of the Public and Private Institutions, Together with National, State, County, and City Government.” Bishop W. Mains & Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.
Young, Jennie J. 1879. “The Ceramic Art: A Compendium of the History and Manufacture of Pottery and Porcelain.” Harper & Bros., New York, New York.
Woodward, E.M. and John F. Hageman. 1883. “History of Burlington and Mercer Counties.” Everts and Peck, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Trenton Board of Trade. 1900. “Industrial Trenton and Vicinity.” George A. Wolf Publishers, Wilmington, Delaware.
Newark Museum Association. 1914. “The Work of The Potteries of New Jersey: From 1685 to 1876 , Being Extracts from ‘The Pottery and Porcelain of the United States,’ by Edwin Atlee Barber and Marks of New Jersey Potteries, as Reproduced from ‘Pottery,’ Published by The Thomas Maddock’s Sons Company.” Newark Museum Association, Newark, New Jersey.
Van Hoesen, Walter Hamilton. 1973. “Crafts and Craftsmen of New Jersey.” Associated University Presses, Inc., Cranbury, New Jersey.
Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.
Lehner, Lois. 1988. “Lehner’s Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay.” Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky.
Nottle, Diane. 1997. “Beauty, Utility & Paychecks, All Built on a Base of Clay.” New York Times, November 9, 1997.
Goldberg, David J. 1998. “Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond).” Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.
Other firms at this site:
Clinton Street Pottery; Coxon & Company
Block and Lot:
Historic Street Address:
Clinton Avenue on Belvidere and Delaware Railroad; Clinton Avenue on Perry Street; North Clinton Avenue corner of Ott Street
City of Trenton