Sanitary Earthenware Specialty Company

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1897-1938

Wares

plumbers earthenware; sanitary earthenware (Industrial Directory 1901); earthenware specialties (Industrial Directory 1906); sanitary earthenware (Industrial Directory 1906); vitreous chinaware (Industrial Directory 1909); sanitary earthenware (Industrial Directory 1909); sanitary ware (Industrial Directory 1912); plumbers' earthenware (Industrial Directory 1912, 1918, 1927, 1934)

Notes

The Sanitary Earthenware Company was incorporated on March 4, 1897 to make the highest grade of plumber’s earthenware, with particular attention to sanitary specialties (Trenton Board of Trade 1900:80).

“The company was established by Thomas Swetnam, Arthur Plantier and John T. Moore. The complex includes a long three to three-and-a-half story brick building with a total frontage on Southard Street of twenty two bays. This block was built in two sections, both featuring rectangular windows in segmental arched openings. In the rear are two ells, one of about eleven bays length and two stories high, the other a one story section connected to the main block by a more recent one story wing. Gabled roofs top all the sections, except one part of the main block, which has a flat roof. These buildings are now used for office functions” (Abramson and Karschner 1978:10).

“Sanitary was founded in 1897 by Thomas Swetman and Arthur Plantier for the production of sanitary items” (Robinson and Feeny 1980:344).

The company later took over the neighboring Interstate Pottery.

Selected References

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1900-1938. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Trenton Board of Trade. 1900. “Industrial Trenton and Vicinity.” George A. Wolf Publishers, Wilmington, Delaware.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1901. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1906. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1909. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1912. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

Secretary of State. 1914. “Corporations of New Jersey, List of Certificates to December 31, 1911.” MacCrellish & Quigley, Trenton, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1918. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Statistics and Records, Department of Labor. 1927. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

New Jersey Bureau of Statistics and Records, State Department of Labor. 1934. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

Abramson, D.V. and T. Karschner. 1978. “An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, Trenton, New Jersey.” On file, New Jersey State Historic Preservation Office (NJDEPE), Trenton, New Jersey.

Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.

Other firms at this site:

Other Names

Sanitary Earthenware Specialty Company; Sanitary Earthenware Company

Historic Street Address:
Southard Street and Johnson Trolley; 1050 New Southard Street

Municipality:
Ewing Township