J.L. Mott Company

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1915-1932

Wares

sanitary plumbing & fittings (Industrial Directory 1918); porcelain and vitreous ware (Industrial Directory 1918); plumbing supplies (Industrial Directory 1927); porcelain & vitreous ware (Industrial Directory 1927); sanitary plumbing fixtures (Industrial Directory 1931)

Notes

In 1895 the terra-cotta works was purchased by Trenton Fireclay & Porcelain Co. and later sold to J.L. Mott Co. (Harney 1929)

J.L. Mott entered the pottery field about 1902 by associating themselves with the Trenton Fireclay and Porcelain Company (Maddock 1962).

“In 1895, they [the Trenton Fireclay & Porcelain Company] began making all the porcelain requirements of the J.L. Mott Iron Works of Mott Haven, New York, a company which had been in operation for one hundred years making brass fittings, enameled iron fixtures, soil pipe, heating equipment, and since 1883 enameled cast iron tubsÉ As the porcelain plant was increasing its output the Mott Iron Works wished to move the plant to Trenton and manufacture all of the plumbing fixtures in one placeÉ Seven and one half acres of land were acquired across the Canal from the porcelain plant [Trenton Fireclay & Porcelain Co.] and with the Bowman architect and the Bowmans acting as the general contractor, a modern and complete fireproof plant was built, and another company was formed under the name of the J.L. Mott Company. In 1915-1916, the three companies amalgamated, and the J.L. Mott Company became the holding company of the J.L. Mott Iron Works and the Trenton Fireclay and Porcelain Co. Each company, however, operated as a separate unitÉ ” (Abramson and Karschner 1978:15-16).

Selected References

J.L. Mott Iron Works. c.1900. “The Suspendo Wall Closet.” Trenton, New Jersey.

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1916-1931. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

J.L. Mott Iron Works. 1916. “Modern Plumbing.” Bartlett Orr Press, New York.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1918. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

Downs, Thomas. 1924-1928. “Ceramics Formula Book [J. L. Mott Co., Trenton, NJ].” On file, Rutgers University Library. New Brunswick, New Jersey.

“Court Orders Mott Sale.” New York Times, July 7, 1927.

New Jersey Bureau of Statistics and Records, Department of Labor. 1927. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

“Sanitary Equipment Companies to Merge.” New York Times, December 15, 1927.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

“Court Selects Two Receivers for Mott Firm.” Trenton Times, May 12, 1931.

“Mott Plant Sold to Bond Bidders.” State Gazette, June 2, 1932.

Trenton Times. 1937. “Another Industry for City: Goodyear Company Takes Over Part of Mott Plant.” Scrapbook of Trenton Industries. On file, Trenton Public Library, Trenton, New Jersey.

Maddock II, Archibald M. 1962. “The Polished Earth: A History of the Pottery Plumbing Fixture Industry in the United States.” The Estate of Archibald M. Maddock II, New Jersey.

Abramson, D.V and T. Karschner. 1978. “An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, Trenton, New Jersey.” On file, New Jersey Historic Preservation Office (NJDEP), Trenton, New Jersey.

Other Names

J.L. Mott Company

Block and Lot:
75B

Historic Street Address:
Third Street and Landing Street; Third Street on Second Street; Davies Street corner of Lalor Street

Municipality:
City of Trenton