Union Pottery

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1882-1895

Wares

decorated ware (Woodward and Hageman 1883:693)

Notes

“Be it enacted by the State and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey that Baltes Pickel, William White, Henry Smith, Joshua Jones, Elias Cook and their Associates be, and are hereby, created a body politic and corporate, in fact and in law, by the name and style of the ‘Union Pottery Company’ for the purpose of manufacturing, selling and dealing earthenware and crockery of various descriptionsÉ approved March 30, 1869” (Acts of the Ninety-Third Legislature 1869:875).

“The Union Pottery Company Reorganized. The Union Pottery Company has been reorgnaized with James G. Lee, President, and J. Bentley Pope, Vice President. John Taylor continues in the capacity of Treasurer. Henry Mason, formerly with the Mercer Pottery, has been placed in charge of the pressing department. A new sample room is being fitted up and the office renovated” (Trenton Evening Times, Monday, June 29, 1885).

“Since the reorganization of the Union Pottery Company there has been that marked change in the character of the concern and the goods made that is always observable where different men take hold of the helm. The change in this case has been decidedly for the better, as Mr. Lee and Mr. Pope have profited by the experience they have gained from several years of practical work in their respective departments, and they have made an unquestioned success of their combined management of the Union Pottery during the short time that it has been under their direction” (Trenton Evening Times, Sunday, November 15, 1885).

“It is reported that measures are in progress to take the Union Pottery out of the hands of the Receiver” (Trenton Evening Times, Sunday, December 16, 1888).

Both Union Pottery and New Jersey Pottery Co. were incorporated by 1869. In 1882, the New Jersey Pottery Company’s Coalport Works were taken over by the Union Pottery Co. (Harney 1929).

The New Jersey Pottery was succeeded by the Union Pottery and later became the American Brass and Lamp Co. (Abramson and Karschner 1978:12).

In 1883 the New Jersey Pottery Company was renamed “Union Pottery Company. They went out of business in 1889. Union made some tiles and plates for the 1880 Presidential campaign. There was no connection between this company and the Union Porcelain Works of New York” (Robinson and Feeny 1980:333).

Selected References

Acts of the Ninety-Third Legislature of the State of New Jersey, and Twenty-Fifth under the New Constitution “Laws of New Jersey.” 1869. A.R. Speer, New Brunswick, New Jersey.

“The Union Pottery Company Reorganized.” Trenton Evening Times, Monday, June 29, 1885.

“Among the Potters.” Trenton Evening Times, Sunday, November 15, 1885.

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1885-1890. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ and Morrisville, PA, Included a Fund of Information Concerning Public and Private Institutions, National, State, County, City and Borough Governments, Gathered from Reliable and Official Sources.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

“To Start a Decorating Shop.” Trenton Evening Times, Sunday, December 16, 1888.

Hood, John. 1905. “Index of Colonial and State Laws of New Jersey Between the Years 1663 and 1903 Inclusive.” Sinnickson, Chew & Sons Co., Camden, New Jersey.

Newark Museum Association. 1914. “The Work of The Potteries of New Jersey: From 1685 to 1876 , Being Extracts from ‘The Pottery and Porcelain of the United States,’ by Edwin Atlee Barber and Marks of New Jersey Potteries, as Reproduced from ‘Pottery,’ Published by The Thomas Maddock’s Sons Company.” Newark Museum Association, Newark, New Jersey.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

Podmore, Harry J. 1956. “Union Pottery Co. Succeeded New Jersey Pottery.” Sunday Times Advertiser, November 11, 1956.

Podmore, Harry J. 1961. “Union Pottery Works Sold July 1892.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 30, 1961.

Abramson, D.V. and T. Karschner. 1978. “An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, Trenton, New Jersey.” On file, New Jersey Historic Preservation Office (NJDEP), Trenton, New Jersey.

Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.

Goldberg, David J. 1998 . “Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond).” Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.

Other Names

Union Pottery Company

Block and Lot:
39-1B/1

Historic Street Address:
Muirhead Avenue near Pennsylvania Railroad; Muirhead Avenue near Pennsylvania and Bound Brook Railroad; Railroad Avenue near Clinton

Municipality:
City of Trenton