Star Pottery

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1887-1888

Notes

“Be it enacted by the State and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey that Isaac Stephens, George Brearley, James P. Stephens, James Tams and their Associates be, and are hereby, created a body politic and corporate, in fact and in law, by the name and style of the ‘Star Pottery Company’ for the purpose of manufacturing, selling and dealing earthenware and crockery of various descriptionsÉ approved March 12, 1873” (Acts of the Ninety-Seventh Legislature 1873, Second Part:1067).

“The Star Pottery Company, of which William H. Potts was president, was located on the site now occupied by the Public Service Corporation, between Warren and Willow Streets É In 1886 W.H. Potts, Jr. used to manufacture stilts which are used for placing ware in gloss kilns. From the local newspapers on file in the State Library, we are led to believe that this was an old pottery site, and that Wimer & McCully used it in 1801” (Harney 1929).

Selected References

Acts of the Ninety-Seventh Legislature of the State of New Jersey, and Twenty-Ninth under the New Constitution “Laws of New Jersey.” 1873. Vance & Stiles, Morristown, New Jersey.

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1887-1888. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ and Morrisville, PA, Included a Fund of Information Concerning Public and Private Institutions, National, State, County, City and Borough Governments, Gathered from Reliable and Official Sources.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1901-1904. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Hood, John. 1905. “Index of Colonial and State Laws of New Jersey Between the Years 1663 and 1903 Inclusive.” Sinnickson, Chew & Sons Co., Camden, New Jersey.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

Other Names

Fritz, Margerum & Company; Star Pottery Company

Block and Lot:
24C/72, 124

Historic Street Address:
225 North Warren Street; Warren Street near Bank Street; Chauncey Street near Willow Street

Municipality:
City of Trenton