sanitary closets and sanitary ware (Harney 1929)
“In 1888, the Sanitary Pottery, between known as the Broad Street Pottery, was started on the site where the public market was located a few years ago, between Broad and Second Streets. It was a two kiln plant, and was operated under a cooperative plan by a group of workingmen and others. They manufactured sanitary closets and other sanitary ware É Frost and Manser to start a sanitary pottery on South Broad Street. – True American, July 1888” (Harney 1929).
Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1888-1891. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ and Morrisville, PA, Included a Fund of Information Concerning Public and Private Institutions, National, State, County, City and Borough Governments, Gathered from Reliable and Official Sources.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.
Harney, W.J. 1929 “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.
Broad Street Pottery Company; Frost & Manser; Sanitary Pottery; Astbury Pottery; H.W. Snook & Company
Historic Street Address:
563 South Broad Street; Broad near Canal
City of Trenton