National Pottery

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1869-1872

Wares

Notes

“Be it enacted by the State and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey that Theodore W. Hill, Charles Moyer, Charles Hewitt, Timothy Abbott, George S. Green and their Associates be, and are hereby, created a body politic and corporate, in fact and in law, by the name and style of the ‘National Pottery Company’ for the purpose of manufacturing, selling and dealing earthenware and crockery of various descriptions É approved March 3, 1869” (Acts of the Ninety-Third Legislature 1869: 163).

“In the Daily True American for August 2, 1879, are notes about a fight in the Lumley Row Pottery on East Canal Street. This was the National Pottery, which had converted this famous row into a pottery.

The National Pottery Company was not affected by the pottery strike in 1869 and 1870, having made a settlement with its employes to continue working.

The National Pottery, a two kiln plant on East Canal Street, near State Street, was totally destroyed by fire this morning. It was owned by Messrs. T. Wallis Hill, Charles Hewitt, and others. It was formerly known as Lumley’s Row, an old frame structure and was adjacent to Mercer Cemetery. It was incorporated about four years ago. – True American 8/2/1872.

This plot of land was 151 feet by 112, and was purchased after the fire by T.W. Hill on January 24, 1873, for $6,500” (Harney 1929).

“É National Pottery Company also operated under the name of two of its founders, Theodore W. Hill and Charles MoyerÉ Operations are not likely to have started earlier than 1868 and ceased by August 1872, when the plant was destroyed by fire. The land was purchased by Theodore Hill and eventually this area was incorporated as the Greenwood Pottery which expanded to encompass this site” (Goldberg 1998:42-43).

Although the pottery is shown on the Everts & Stewart map of 1875, no other evidence has been found to document its rebuilding and resumption of operations after the fire of 1872. The pottery is not shown on the Robinson map of 1881 or the Haven map of 1882, by which time the site had been redeveloped for housing. The pottery is not mentioned in Woodward and Hageman’s “History Burlington and Mercer Counties” in 1883. Housing continues on the site into the early 20th century and there is no indication that the Greenwood Pottery expanded on to this property (contra Goldberg 1998:48).

Selected References

J.H. Lant & Co. 1868-1869. “The Trenton City Directory, for 1868 1869, Containing the Names of the Inhabitants, Together with a Business and Street Directory of the City, Business Directory of Mercer Co., and an Appendix of Valuable Information.” pp. 187 188. Vannote & Yard, Trenton, New Jersey.

Acts of the Ninety-Third Legislature of the State of New Jersey, and Twenty-Fifth under the New Constitution. 1869. “Laws of New Jersey” A.R. Speer, New Brunswick, New Jersey

Crosley, William F. 1869. “The Trenton City Directory, for 1869, Containing the Names of the Inhabitants, Together with a Business and Street Directory of the City and an Appendix of Valuable Information.” Murphy & Bechtel, Book and Job Printers, Trenton, New Jersey.

Daily True American, August 2, 1872.

Federal Census of New Jersey. 1870. Industrial Schedules. On file, New Jersey State Archives, Trenton, New Jersey.

Metcalf, Edwin S. 1870. “The Trenton City Directory, 1870, Containing a General Directory of the Citizens, a Business Directory, and a Record of the City Government, Its Institutions, Societies, Corporations.” Webb Brothers & Co.

Slade, Charles H. 1871. “Trenton Directory, 1871, Containing a General Directory of the Citizens, a Business Directory, and a Record of the City Government, Its Institutions, Societies, Corporations, Etc.” Directory. Webb Brothers & Co.

Daily True American, August 2, 1872.

Hood, John. 1905. “Index of Colonial and State Laws of New Jersey Between the Years 1663 and 1903 Inclusive.” Sinnickson, Chew & Sons Co., Camden, New Jersey.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

Goldberg, David J. 1998. “Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond).” Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.

Other Names

National Pottery Company; Hill & Moyer; Lumley Row Pottery

Block and Lot:
9E/2

Historic Street Address:
East Canal Street near State Street

Municipality:
City of Trenton

1870 Census

Name in censusNational Pottery Co.
Capital Invested25000
Type of power 11 Steam Engine
Horsepower 115
Machine name 1Jiggers & Pans
Machine name 2Hydraulic Press
Machine quantity 24
Raw material type 1Clays
Raw material quantity 1150 tons
Raw material value 12000
Raw material type 2Flint & Feldspar
Raw material type 3Coal
Raw material type 4Chemicals
Raw material type 5Total
Raw material quantity 2150 tons
Raw material quantity 3500 tons
Raw material quantity 410 tons
Raw material value 23000
Raw material value 32500
Raw material value 41000
Raw material value 58500
Product type 1White Earthenware
Product value 125000
Male hands above 1620
Female hands above 165
Children15
Yearly wages13000
Months operating8