electrical porcelain & bathroom fixtures (Industrial Directory 1927); bathroom accessories (Industrial Directory 1931); electrical porcelain (Industrial Directory 1934)
“In 1889 Mr. Charles W. Donough had a stilt, spur and pin pottery on his property at the corner of Mulberry Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. Mr. Donough was a skilled potter, and very thrifty, and after retiring from active service, he started in business for himself.
In 1907 this place became known as the Excelsior Porcelain Shop, and in 1914, it changed hands and was known as the Pullen Porcelain Company. In 1925, it was the Mercer Porcelain Company” (Harney 1929).
This pottery was initially established by C.W. Donaghue in 1889 and made stilts and spurs. From 1904 until 1913 it was listed in the Trenton city directories as the Trenton Stilt Pin and Spur Works and in 1914 as the Pullen Porcelain Specialty Company. The pottery appears to have switched from the manufacture of kiln furniture to making electrical porcelain and sanitary ware in 1925 when it was taken over by the Mercer Porcelain Company.
New Jersey Bureau of Statistics and Records, Department of Labor. 1927. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.
Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.
New Jersey Bureau of Statistics and Records, State Department of Labor. 1931. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.
New Jersey Bureau of Statistics and Records, State Department of Labor. 1934. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.
Huston, Charles W. 1946. “Trenton, New Jersey City Directory.” Charles W. Huston, Trenton, New Jersey.
City of Trenton Tax Assessor Records. On file, Trenton Public Library, Trenton, New Jersey.
Other firms at this site:
Mercer Porcelain Company
Block and Lot:
Historic Street Address:
Mulberry Street and Canal; corner of Mulberry Street and Pennsylvania Avenue; 457 Mulberry
City of Trenton