In operation 1816-1868
“The late John S. McCully, one of Trenton’s oldest potters, informed Mr. McCormick that the first pottery in that city was erected in 1783, on a part of the Cowell [sic] estate, near where Petty’s Run is crossed by Pennington Avenue, but this was soon abandoned. In the following year, Joseph McCully, an uncle of John, erected a second pottery at the head of Warren Street, back of the old Lamb Tavern, which he continued to operate for several years. In 1799 a pottery was built by the father of John S. McCully on the site of Bishop O’Farrell’s residence, on Warren Street, having formed a partnership with Thomas Wimer. In 1815 the opening of Bank Street necessitated the removal of the pottery to the lot on which the parochial school now stands.”
–Barber, Edwin Atlee. n.d. “History of the Pottery Industry in New Jersey.” Manuscript on file, Rutgers University Library, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
Woodward, E. M. and John F. Hageman. 1883. History of Burlington and Mercer Counties. Everts and Peck, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
“The Pottery Art. The Rhythmic Wheel of Prehistoric Times. Report of An Interview With Trenton’s Oldest Practical Potter — Interesting Reminiscences Which Will be New to Most of Our Readers.” Trenton Evening Times, Sunday, May 8, 1887.
“Death of John S. McCully.” Trenton Evening Times, Sunday, December 15, 1889.
Van Hoesen, Walter Hamilton. 1973. Crafts and Craftsmen of New Jersey. Associated University Presses, Inc., Cranbury, New Jersey.
Quigley, Mary Alice and David E. Collier. 1984. A Capital Place: The Story of Trenton. Historical Society and Windsor Publications, Inc., Woodland Hills, California.
Branin, M. Lelyn. 1988. The Early Makers of Handcrafted Earthenware and Stoneware in Central and Southern New Jersey. Associated University Presses, Inc., Cranbury, New Jersey.
J.S. McCully; McCully Pottery
Block and Lot:
Historic Street Address:
Bank Street and Barnes Street; Union Street near Willow Street
City of Trenton
Otley, J.W., and J. Keily. 1849. Map of Mercer County. Lloyd Vanderveer, Camden, New Jersey.
Sidney, J.C. 1849. Map of the City of Trenton, New Jersey. M. Dripps, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Lamborn, R.H. 1859. Map of the City of Trenton and Part of Hamilton Township Mercer County, New Jersey. Robert H. Lamborn, Trenton, New Jersey. (Shown as “J & H. McCully Pottery”)
|Name in census||J. S & H. McCully|
|Raw materials 1||Clay|
|Quantity materials 1||18 tons|
|Value materials 1||20|
|Raw materials 2||Red lead|
|Quantity materials 2||800 lbs|
|Value materials 2||58|
|Raw materials 3||Wood|
|Quantity materials 3||21 cords|
|Value materials 3||100|
|Raw materials 4||Coal|
|Quantity materials 4||4 tons|
|Value materials 4||16|
|Power type 1||1 Kiln|
|Power type 2||Frame (structure)|
|Male hands employed||2|
|Kind of product||Assorted red ware|
|Value of product||900|