John Maddock & Sons Coalport Works

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1895-c.1925

Wares

earthenware and sanitary specialties (Trenton Board of Trade 1900); sanitary earthenware (Industrial Directory 1901, 1906, 1909); sanitary earthenware specialties (Industrial Directory 1912); sanitary earthenware (Industrial Directory 1918)

Notes

The surviving buildings are described within the text. In 1895 John Maddock established his Coalport Works here and made sanitary ware. John Maddock apparently perfected the toilet by changing its shape and improving the flush mechanism. This site was later split between the Hibbert Printing Company and the Bartley Crucible and Refractories Company (making crucibles and other industrial ceramics). Bartley moved to this site in the 1930s (Abramson and Karschner 1978:12).

Selected References

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1895-1900. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ and Morrisville, PA, Included a Fund of Information Concerning Public and Private Institutions, National, State, County, City and Borough Governments, Gathered from Reliable and Official Sources.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Trenton Board of Trade. 1900. “Industrial Trenton and Vicinity.” George A. Wolf Publishers, Wilmington, Delaware.

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1901-1929. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Hood, John. 1905. “Index of Colonial and State Laws of New Jersey Between the Years 1663 and 1903 Inclusive.” Sinnickson, Chew & Sons Co., Camden, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1906. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1909. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1912. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

Newark Museum Association. 1914. “The Work of The Potteries of New Jersey: From 1685 to 1876 , Being Extracts from ‘The Pottery and Porcelain of the United States,’ by Edwin Atlee Barber and Marks of New Jersey Potteries, as Reproduced from ‘Pottery,’ Published by The Thomas Maddock’s Sons Company.” Newark Museum Association, Newark, New Jersey.

New Jersey Bureau of Industrial Statistics. 1918. “The Industrial Directory of New Jersey.” Trenton, New Jersey.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

“John Maddock: Father of the Sanitary Business in Trenton.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 2, 1942.

Abramson, D.V. and T. Karschner. 1978. “An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, Trenton, New Jersey.” On file, New JerseyHistoric Preservation Office (NJDEP), Trenton, New Jersey

Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.

Stern, Marc Jeffrey. 1994. “The Pottery Industry of Trenton: A Skilled Trade in Transition, 1850-1929.” Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, New Jersey.

Goldberg, David J. 1998. “Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond).” Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.

Other Names

John Maddock & Sons Company; John Maddock & Sons Coalport Works

Block and Lot:
39-1B/1

Historic Street Address:
Muirhead Avenue near Pennsylvania Railroad; Muirhead Avenue near Pennsylvania and Bound Brook Railroad; Railroad Avenue near Clinton

Municipality:
City of Trenton