In operation 1884-1886
Porcelain knobs and insulators (Trenton Evening Times, July 22, 1886)
“A fire broke out about three o’clock this morning at the little pottery on Clinton Street, Millham, nearly opposite the Hamilton Rubber Works, and owned by Mrs. Edith Hankinson, of 214 Academy street. The building is rented by Charles H. Boch, who manufactures porcelain knobs and insulators. When the fire was first seen it seemed to be concentrated around a kiln, which has been burning for some time, and it is thought that the flames must have originated from that.”
— “A Pottery Burned.” Trenton Evening Times, July 22, 1886.
“A Pottery Burned.” Trenton Evening Times, July 22, 1886.
Harney, W.J. 1929 “Trenton’s First Potteries.” In: Sunday Times Advertiser (7 July, 14 July, 21 July and 28 July). Trenton, New Jersey.
Goldberg, David J. 1998 Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond). Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.
Other firms at this site:
Hankinson Pottery Company; Hankinson Pottery; Charles H. Boch
Block and Lot:
Historic Street Address:
Mead Ave. Millham; Clinton opposite Mead
Sanborn‑Perris Map Company. 1890. Insurance Maps of the City of Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey. Sanborn‑Perris Map Company, New York, New York. (Plate 21: shows a brick kiln shed with one kiln on the property)
Scarlett & Scarlett. 1890. Scarlett & Scarlett’s Fire Insurance Map of Mercer County. Scarlett & Scarlett, Newark, New Jersey. (Plate 60: shown as “Enterprise M’f’g. Co.” and identified as a brass foundry, but there is vacant kiln shed with one kiln on the property)
Lathrop, J. M. 1905. Atlas of the City of Trenton and Borough of Princeton. A.H. Mueller & Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Shown as “Trenton Potteries Co. – Stable.”)
Sanborn Map Company. 1908. Insurance Maps of the City of Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, Volume 1. Sanborn Map Company, New York, New York. (Vol.1, plate 34: shown as “The Trenton Potteries Co.” on North Clinton Avenue [used as stables, storage and garages])