sanitary ware (Scarlett & Scarlett 1890, plate 41A)
The pottery was established in 1889 by Cochran & Coxon. In 1889, the Equitable Pottery was operating four kilns (Harney 1929).
“Equitable was founded in 1888 by Andrew Cochran, John Leukel, and Jonathan Coxon. They made sanitary wares and later became part of the Trenton Potteries Company” (Robinson and Feeny 1980:65).
Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1889-1891. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ and Morrisville, PA, Included a Fund of Information Concerning Public and Private Institutions, National, State, County, City and Borough Governments, Gathered from Reliable and Official Sources.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.
Newark Museum Association. 1914. “The Work of The Potteries of New Jersey: From 1685 to 1876 , Being Extracts from ‘The Pottery and Porcelain of the United States,’ by Edwin Atlee Barber and Marks of New Jersey Potteries, as Reproduced from ‘Pottery,’ Published by The Thomas Maddock’s Sons Company.” Newark Museum Association, Newark, New Jersey.
Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.
Thorn, C. Jordan. 1947. “Handbook of Old Pottery & Porcelain Marks.” Tudor Publishing Company, New York, New York.
Lehner, Lois. 1980. “Complete Book of American Kitchen and Dinner Wares.” Wallace-Homestead Book Company, Des Moines, Iowa.
Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.
Lehner, Lois. 1988. “Lehner’s Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay.” Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky.
Other firms at this site:
Equitable Pottery Company; Cochran & Coxon
Block and Lot:
Historic Street Address:
Lalor Street near Canal; Lalor Street n. Hancock Street; Wolverton Avenue
City of Trenton