white granite, stone porcelain, and decorated ware, a specialty being made of hotel ware (Industries of New Jersey 1882:152; Woodward and Hageman 1883:860); dinner, tea and toilet sets (Trenton Evening Times, January 31, 1884); opaque china, thin ware, hotel ware, white granite, c.c., and decorated ware, tea sets, dinner sets, toilet wares (Quarter Century's Progress 1887:273)
“In 1867, Mr. C.S. Cook became the sole proprietor and continued the business up to August, 1873, when the East Trenton Pottery Company was formed and incorporated by an act of the Legislature. Mr. C.S. Cook was then chosen President and Treasurer and Mr. W.M. Marshall was made Secretary, both gentlemen serving down to the present time. Under the new management various alterations, enlargements, improvements and extensions have been made to the works, until now they rank among the foremost in the country. The manufactures are white granite, stone porcelain, C.C. and decorated ware, hotel ware being made a specialty. The premises are 275×300 feet in dimensions, on which is erected nine commodious stone and brick buildings, three stories in height É The engine is of forty-horse power and serves to heat the premises by means of steam pipes. Six kilns are in use and the ware here produced enjoys an excellent reputation throughout the land, Employment is given to one hundred and fifty hands. There are sheds, stables, railroad-switch, canal basin, etc.” (Industries of New Jersey 1882: 152).
“É the business was conducted by Mr. Brewer until the establishment was purchased by Asa F. Skirm, Edward Cook, and Charles S. Cook, who were known as C.S. Cook & Co. This firm was succeeded by the East Trenton Pottery Company, of which Charles S. Cook is president and treasurer, and W.W. Marshall, secretary” (Woodward and Hageman 1883:860).
Detailed description of the pottery and its products is provided in the Trenton Evening Times, Thursday, January 31, 1884.
Detailed description of pottery and production in 1887 provided in Quarter-Century’s Progress of New Jersey’s Leading Manufacturing Centres.
“The East Trenton Pottery Company dissolved on April 24, 1895” (Secretary of State 1914).
On August 8, 1909 fire severely damaged the property. The old stone still house was partly removed during renovations after the fire (Harney 1929).
The surviving buildings are described within the text. The pottery was É run by Charles S. Cook from 1867-73 when he founded and incorporated the East Trenton Pottery Company. The firm made “white granite and stone porcelain, cream colored and decorated wares, hotel ware being made a specialty.” The text gives further details on makers marks. Later on, the plant switched to manufacture of sanitary ware only. In 1906, William Cook (son of Charles) sold to the Excelsior Pottery which was bought a year later by Imperial Porcelain Works whose plant further east on Mulberry had burned down (Abramson and Karschner 1978:15).
J.H. Lant & Co. 1872. “The Trenton Directory, 1872, Containing a General Directory of the Citizens, a Business Directory, Together with a Town Business Directory of Mercer County, and Much Useful Miscellaneous Information.” J.H. Lant & Co., Trenton, New Jersey.
Boyd, Andrew and William H. Boyd. 1873. “Boyd’s Trenton City Directory: Containing the Names of Its Citizens, a Compendium of Its Government and of Public and Private Institutions, and a Business Directory of the Principal Towns in Mercer County, a List of Farmers.” Andrew Boyd and W. Harry Boyd, Syracuse, New York and Pottsville, Pennsylvania.
Federal Census of New Jersey. 1880. Industrial Schedules. On file, New Jersey State Archives, Trenton, New Jersey.
Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1880-1900. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ and Morrisville, PA, Included a Fund of Information Concerning Public and Private Institutions, National, State, County, City and Borough Governments, Gathered from Reliable and Official Sources.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.
“Industries of New Jersey, Trenton, Princeton, Hightstown, Pennington and Hopewell.” 1882. Historical Publishing Company, New York, New York, Newark, New Jersey and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Woodward, E.M. and John F. Hageman. 1883. “History of Burlington and Mercer Counties.” Everts and Peck, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
“East Trenton Pottery. The Productions of an Old Plant.” Trenton Evening Times, Thursday, January 31, 1884.
Quarter-Century’s Progress of New Jersey’s Leading Manufacturing Centres. Dover. 1887. International Publishing Company, New York.
Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1901-1905. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.
Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.
Thorn, C. Jordan. 1947. “Handbook of Old Pottery & Porcelain Marks.” Tudor Publishing Company, New York, New York.
Abramson, D.V. and T. Karschner. 1978. “An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, Trenton, New Jersey.” On file, New Jersey Historic Preservation Office (NJDEP), Trenton, New Jersey.
Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.
Lehner, Lois. 1988. “Lehner’s Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay.” Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky.
Goldberg, David J. 1998. “Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond).” Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.
C.S. Cook & Company; East Trenton Pottery Company; East Trenton Pottery Works
Block and Lot:
Historic Street Address:
New York Avenue and Mulberry Street; Mulberry Street and Delaware and Raritan Canal; Mulberry Street and Pennsylvania Railroad; 457 Mulberry; 491 Mulberry
Lawrence Township; Millham Township; City of Trenton
|Name in census||C. S. Cook & Co. East Trenton Pottery|
|Type of power 1||Steam|
|Machine name 1||Press|
|Machine name 2||Jiggers|
|Machine name 3||Pans|
|Machine name 4||Steam Engine|
|Machine quantity 1||1|
|Machine quantity 2||4|
|Machine quantity 3||7|
|Machine quantity 4||1|
|Raw material type 1||Flint|
|Raw material quantity 1||150 tons|
|Raw material value 1||2250|
|Raw material type 2||Spar|
|Raw material type 3||Clay|
|Raw material type 4||Coal|
|Raw material type 5||Total|
|Raw material quantity 2||200 tons|
|Raw material quantity 3||500 tons|
|Raw material quantity 4||1000 tons|
|Raw material value 2||3000|
|Raw material value 3||5000|
|Raw material value 4||5000|
|Raw material value 5||15250|
|Product type 1||White crockery of all description|
|Product value 1||50000|
|Male hands above 16||30|
|Female hands above 16||10|
|Name in census||East Trenton Pottery Co.|
|Number of hands||200|
|Males above 16||100|
|Females above 15||25|
|May to Nov hours||10|
|Nov to May hours||8|
|Total wages in year||65000|
|Full time months||9|
|3/4 time Months||3|
|Value of raw material||60000|
|Value of product||140000|
|Number of engines||1|