In operation 1864-1884
White and cream colored wares (Raum 1871)
“The pottery started on June 1, 1864 with production commencing about 1866. The company was operated as a corporation having received its charter in February 1864. The investor group with Imlah Moore as principal erected a complex of pottery buildings, twelve brick tenement houses for workers, stables and a large basement adjacent to the canal. The economic slump of the early 1870’s claimed the East Trenton Porcelain Company. By January 1873, Imlah Moore reclaimed the property at a sheriff’s sale and turned the operation over to his son Joseph H. Moore who ran the operation for ten years. In 1884, the Sheriff sold the property to Israel Lacy, who operated under the name of Anchor Pottery.”
— Goldberg, David J. 1998. Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond). Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.
“The Manufactories of Trenton. Article II. The Pottery Trade.” Trenton State Gazette, Monday, August 27, 1866.
“The Manufactories of Trenton. Article III. East Trenton Porcelain Company.” Trenton State Gazette, Monday, September 10, 1866.
Woodward, E.M. and John F. Hageman. 1883. History of Burlington and Mercer Counties. Everts and Peck, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.
Branin, M. Lelyn. 1988. The Early Makers of Handcrafted Earthenware and Stoneware in Central and Southern New Jersey. Associated University Presses, Inc., Cranbury, New Jersey.
Goldberg, David J. 1998. Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond). Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.
East Trenton Porcelain Company
Block and Lot:
213A/1,2; 217D; 217E
Historic Street Address:
New York Ave corner Mulberry St; E. Trenton above Canal; Delaware & Raritan Canal; Delaware & Raritan Canal above Rose; South Rose; New York Ave near Olden; 930 New York Ave
Lawrence Township; Millham Township
Everts & Stewart. 1875 Combination Atlas Map of Mercer County. Everts and Stewart, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Shown as “Cook’s Pottery” on Plan of Millham)
Robinson, E., and R. H. Pidgeon. 1881. Atlas of the City of Trenton and Suburbs New Jersey: From Actual Surveys and Official Records. E. Robinson, New York, New York. (Plate R: shown as “Jos. H. Moore Pottery”)
Haven, C. C. 1882. A New Real Estate and Insurance Map of the City of Trenton Including Chambersburg, Millham, and Parts of Ewing, Lawrence, and Hamilton Townships, Mercer County. E.P. Noll & Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Shown as ” Jos. H. Moore Pottery”)
|Name in census||East Trenton Porcelain Company|
|Type of power 1||Steam|
|Machine name 1||Steam engine|
|Machine name 2||Jiggers|
|Machine name 3||Plungers|
|Machine name 4||Sundry small machines|
|Machine quantity 1||1|
|Machine quantity 2||3|
|Machine quantity 3||2|
|Machine quantity 4||10|
|Raw material type 1||Coal|
|Raw material type 2||Clay|
|Raw material type 3||Flint|
|Raw material type 4||Spar|
|Raw material type 5||Wood|
|Raw material type 6||Sand|
|Raw material type 7||Total materials value|
|Product type 1||White Granite Ware, Cream Colored Ware|
|Product value 1||43332|
|Male hands above 16||70|
|Female hands above 16||6|
|Name in census||Joseph H. Moore|
|Number of hands||300|
|Males above 16||200|
|Females above 15||20|
|May to Nov hours||10|
|Nov to May hours||10|
|Total wages in year||85000|
|Full time months||12|
|Value of raw material||90000|
|Value of product||200000|
|Number of engines||1|