Delaware Pottery

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1884-1892

Wares

sanitary ware and druggists supplies (Robinson and Feeny 1980:62)

Notes

The pottery was erected in 1884-85 and purchased by the Trenton Potteries Company in 1892 (Harney 1929).

“A group consisting of Mr. Oliphant, his three sons, Mr. Charles Fay, and Mr. Thomas Connelly (formerly of the Irish Belleek Company) got together in 1884 and formed Oliphant & Company for the prupose of operating the Delaware Pottery.

The company experimented with a Belleek-type formula around 1886 and supposedly produced an exceptionally high-quality china. The ware was never manufactured on anything other than an experimental basis, however É Other products included sanitary items and druggists’ supplies” (Robinson and Feeny 1980:62).

“In about 1886, Thomas Connelly, formerly of the Irish factory [Belleek], began to experiment with the manufacture of Belleek at the Delaware Pottery in Trenton, which had been founded about three years earlier by Samuel D. Oliphant, another Irish worker, and three of his sons. Although Connelly succeeded in producing what was considered some ‘exquisitely thin trial pieces of the finest grade,’ he never made his porcelain in any commercial quantity and he soon discontinued production” (Frelinghuysen 1989:48).

Selected References

Jervis, William P. 1897. “A Book of Pottery Marks.” Press of Hayes Bros., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Trenton Board of Trade. 1900. “Industrial Trenton and Vicinity.” George A. Wolf Publishers, Wilmington, Delaware.

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1901-1920. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Newark Museum Association. 1914. “The Work of The Potteries of New Jersey: From 1685 to 1876 , Being Extracts from ‘The Pottery and Porcelain of the United States,’ by Edwin Atlee Barber and Marks of New Jersey Potteries, as Reproduced from ‘Pottery,’ Published by The Thomas Maddock’s Sons Company.” Newark Museum Association, Newark, New Jersey.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

Thorn, C. Jordan. 1947. “Handbook of Old Pottery & Porcelain Marks.” Tudor Publishing Company, New York, New York.

Van Hoesen, Walter Hamilton. 1973. “Crafts and Craftsmen of New Jersey.” Associated University Presses, Inc., Cranbury, New Jersey.

Lehner, Lois. 1980. “Complete Book of American Kitchen and Dinner Wares.” Wallace-Homestead Book Company, Des Moines, Iowa.

Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.

Lehner, Lois. 1988. “Lehner’s Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay.” Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky.

Frelinghuysen, Alice Cooney. 1989. “American Porcelain, 1770-1920.” Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York.

Other Names

Oliphant & Company; Oliphant's Pottery; Delaware Pottery

Block and Lot:
28-3B/173, 333, 347, 359; 3B

Historic Street Address:
Prospect Street corner of Stuyvesant Avenue; Prospect near Pennsylvania Railroad

Municipality:
City of Trenton