In operation 1856-1859
terra-cotta drain pipes
“In 1856 Mr. Yates bought the property from Mr. Hattersley. It was then leased to James and Thomas Lynch who manufactured drain pipes for about two years.”
— Mains, Bishop W. and Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1879. Mains and Fitzgerald’s Trenton, Chambersburg and Millham Directory: Containing the Names of the Citizens, Statistical Business Report, Historical Sketches, a List of the Public and Private Institutions, Together with National, State, County, and City Government. Bishop W. Mains & Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.
“The Manufactories of Trenton. Article II. The Pottery Trade.” Trenton State Gazette, Monday, August 27, 1866.
“The Trenton Potteries: 20 years Ago and Today.” Daily State Gazette, October 6, 1879.
Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.
Podmore, Harry J. 1951. “City Pottery.” Sunday Times Advertiser, August 5, 1879.
Quigley, M.A. and D.E. Collier. 1984. A Capital Place: The Story of Trenton. Historical Society and Windsor Publications, Inc., Woodland Hills, California.
Lehner, Lois. 1988. Lehner’s Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay. Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky.
Frelinghuysen, Alice Cooney. 1989. American Porcelain, 1770-1920. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York.
Goldberg, David J. 1998. Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond). Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.
Other firms at this site:
Yates & Large
Block and Lot:
Historic Street Address:
Perry St. between East Canal St. and Carroll St.; Canal St. corner of Perry St.; Delaware and Raritan Canal above Rose; Perry near Carroll; Carroll near Perry; Ewing corner of Ogden; Carroll and Ewing; Perry, Carroll and Ewing; Perry corner of Canal
City of Trenton