City Pottery

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1875-1882

Wares

white earthenware

Maker's Marks

Click to enlarge

Notes

“Their ball clay is from the banks at South Amboy, New Jersey, while their china clay is procured from the State of Delaware, and from the celebrated banks on the Brandywine in Delaware County, Pennsylvania” (Everts & Stewart 1875:XII).

” … on October 1, 1875 [the City Pottery Company] É was organized under the manufacturing laws of New Jersey É the present company is composed of James Yates, President; John M. Allan, Vice-President; George Allan, Secretary, and John Rhodes, Superintendent” (Mains and Fitzgerald 1879).

Detailed retrospective provided in “The Trenton Potteries 20 years Ago and To-Day” (Trenton State Gazette, Monday, October 6, 1879).

In 1875 the pottery had 4 kilns and employed 125 hands (Woodward & Hageman 1883).

In 1886, it fell into receivership and was purchased by Maddock & Sons and became part of the Maddock site (Harney 1929).

“Business was conducted under the different partnership names and also as ‘Kenyon City Pottery,’ ‘Trenton City Pottery’ and finally as the ‘City Pottery.’ It is under this final name that the pottery is most generally referred to and most marked pieces bear the name City Pottery Co. or C. P. Co.” (Goldberg 1998:27-28).

Selected References

Everts & Stewart. 1875. “The Pottery Interest.” Combination Map of Mercer County p. XI-XII. Everts & Stewart, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Boyd, Andrew and William H. Boyd. 1876. “Boyd’s Trenton City Directory: Containing the Names of Its Citizens, a Compendium of Its Government and of Public and Private Institutions, and a Business Directory of the Principal Towns in Mercer County, a List of Farmers.” Andrew Boyd and W. Harry Boyd, Syracuse, New York and Pottsville, Pennsylvania.

Mains, Bishop W. and Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1879. “Mains and Fitzgerald’s Trenton, Chambersburg and Millham Directory: Containing the Names of the Citizens, Statistical Business Report, Historical Sketches, a List of the Public and Private Institutions, Together with National, State, County, and City Government.” Bishop W. Mains & Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Young, Jennie J. 1879. “The Ceramic Art: A Compendium of the History and Manufacture of Pottery and Porcelain.” Harper & Bros., New York, New York.

“The Trenton Potteries 20 years Ago and To-Day.” Trenton State Gazette, Monday, October 6, 1879.

Federal Census of New Jersey. 1880. Industrial Schedules. On file, New Jersey State Archives, Trenton, New Jersey.

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1880-1883. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ and Morrisville, PA, Included a Fund of Information Concerning Public and Private Institutions, National, State, County, City and Borough Governments, Gathered from Reliable and Official Sources.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Woodward, E.M. and J.F. Hageman. 1883. “History of Burlington and Mercer Counties.” Everts and Peck, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

Trenton Chamber of Commerce. 1929. “Trenton: 250th Anniversary of the Settlement of Trenton.” On file, Trenton Public Library, Trenton, New Jersey.

Thorn, C. Jordan. 1947. “Handbook of Old Pottery & Porcelain Marks.” Tudor Publishing Company, New York, New York.

Podmore, Harry J. 1951. “City Pottery.” Sunday Times Advertiser, August 5, 1951.

Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.

Quigley, M.A. and D.E. Collier. 1984. “A Capital Place: The Story of Trenton.” Historical Society and Windsor Publications, Inc., Woodland Hills, California.

Lehner, Lois. 1988. “Lehner’s Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay.” Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky.

Frelinghuysen, Alice Cooney. 1989. “American Porcelain, 1770-1920.” Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York.

Goldberg, David J. 1998. “Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond).” Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.

Wall, John P. N.d. “History of the Potteries of Trenton, New Jersey.” Manuscript on file, Trenton Public Library, Trenton, New Jersey.

Other Names

City Pottery Company; Trenton City Pottery

Block and Lot:
36B/26-30, 33

Historic Street Address:
Perry St. between East Canal St. and Carroll St.; Canal St. corner of Perry St.; Delaware and Raritan Canal above Rose; Perry near Carroll; Carroll near Perry; Ewing corner of Ogden; Carroll and Ewing; Perry, Carroll and Ewing; Perry corner of Canal

Municipality:
City of Trenton

1880 Census

Name in censusCity Pottery Co.
Capital100000
Number of hands103
Males above 1673
Females above 1515
Children15
May to Nov hours9
Nov to May hours9
Skilled wages3
Ordinary wages1.25
Total wages in year46000
Full time months12
Value of raw material42000
Value of product100000
Number of engines1
Horse power40