American Crockery Company

  

Metrodori liberos commendas

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut aliquid scire se gaudeant? At, si voluptas esset bonum, desideraret. Ergo id est convenienter naturae vivere, a natura discedere. Cur deinde Metrodori liberos commendas? Maximus dolor, inquit, brevis est.

Duo Reges: constructio interrete. Omnes enim iucundum motum, quo sensus hilaretur. Nihil illinc huc pervenit. Quid censes in Latino fore?

In operation

1865-1887

Wares

bisque and white granite ware (Abramson and Karschner 1978); stone china, bisque, and white granite goods, "Yedda" dinnerware, a "Wheat" jug, "Cable" dinnerware and jug, a "Rose" jug, also chamber sets in "Bamboo," "Rustic," and "Bullion," etc. … Yedda dinnerware had an "all over Daisy pattern painted in deep underglaze blue hieghtened by gold" (Lehner 1980:24)

Notes

“A Supplement to an Act entitled ‘An Act to incorporate the East Trenton Crockery & Kaolin Company’ approved March 29, 1865 É that the name of the corporation created by the act to which this is a supplement be changed to the name of ‘American Crockery Co.’ All legal rights and liabilities of said corporation shall remain the same as if this act had not passed and that this act shall take effect immediately É approved March 27, 1867” (Acts of the Ninety-First Legislature 1867).

“The American Crockery Company, a stock company, was organized in 1866 with Pliny Fisk as president, and Horace E. Fisk as treasurer, under whose management a gradually increasing business has been conducted É” (Woodward and Hageman 1883:860).

“The American Crockery Company have the distinctive honor of having been the first pottery in the city of Trenton, if not in this country, to take up the business of decorating their own production of white goods, and from a beginning that would now be considered ridiculously small, they have made the decorating branch the principal department of their business” (Trenton Evening Times, Sunday, November 15, 1885).

“American Crockery Co. incorporated in 1867” (Hood 1905).

Organized in 1866 and by 1888 was operated by Clark Bros., but soon ceased to manufacture ware (Harney 1929).

The address for this pottery is listed as 436 Mulberry Street (on the present day Salvation Army Site). A description of the surviving structures is given within the text. Manufactures consisted of bisque and white granite ware. In 1887 the company was succeeded by the Clark Brothers Pottery Company which later became the Clark Brothers Lamp Brass and Copper Company and in 1891 became the American Lamp and Brass Company (Abramson and Karschner 1978).

This company exhibited at the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia (Richardson and Feeny 1980:51).

Selected References

“The Manufactories of Trenton. Article II. The Pottery Trade.” Trenton State Gazette, Monday, August 27, 1866.

Acts of the Ninety-First Legislature of the State of New Jersey, and Twenty-Third under the New Constitution. 1867. “Laws of New Jersey” Chiswell & Wurts, Daily “Press” Office, Paterson, New Jersey.

Metcalf, Edwin S. 1870. “The Trenton City Directory, 1870, Containing a General Directory of the Citizens, a Business Directory, and a Record of the City Government, Its Institutions, Societies, Corporations.” Webb Brothers & Co.

Slade, Charles H. 1871. “Trenton Directory, 1871, Containing a General Directory of the Citizens, a Business Directory, and a Record of the City Government, Its Institutions, Societies, Corporations, Etc.” Directory. Webb Brothers & Co.

J.H. Lant & Co. 1872. “The Trenton Directory, 1872, Containing a General Directory of the Citizens, a Business Directory, Together with a Town Business Directory of Mercer County, and Much Useful Miscellaneous Information.” J.H. Lant & Co., Trenton, New Jersey.

Boyd, Andrew and William H. Boyd. 1874. “Trenton City Directory.” (American Crockery Company on Delaware and Raritan Canal above Rose listed under “Potters.”)

Mains, Bishop W. and Thomas F. Fitzgerald. 1877-1879. “Mains and Fitzgerald’s Trenton, Chambersburg and Millham Directory: Containing the Names of the Citizens, Statistical Business Report, Historical Sketches, a List of the Public and Private Institutions, Together with National, State, County, and City Government.” Bishop W. Mains & Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Federal Census of New Jersey. 1880. Industrial Schedules. On file, New Jersey State Archives, Trenton, New Jersey.

Fitzgerald, Thomas F. 1880-1887. “Fitzgerald’s Trenton and Mercer County Directory, Together with a Directory of Bordentown, Burlington, Mount Holly and Lambertville, NJ and Morrisville, PA, Included a Fund of Information Concerning Public and Private Institutions, National, State, County, City and Borough Governments, Gathered from Reliable and Official Sources.” Thomas F. Fitzgerald, Trenton, New Jersey.

Woodward, E.M. and John F. Hageman. 1883. “History of Burlington and Mercer Counties.” Everts and Peck, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

“Among the Potters.” Trenton Evening Times, Sunday, November 15, 1885.

Hood, John. 1905. “Index of Colonial and State Laws of New Jersey Between the Years 1663 and 1903 Inclusive.” Sinnickson, Chew & Sons Co., Camden, New Jersey.

Newark Museum Association. 1914. “The Work of The Potteries of New Jersey: From 1685 to 1876 , Being Extracts from ‘The Pottery and Porcelain of the United States,’ by Edwin Atlee Barber and Marks of New Jersey Potteries, as Reproduced from ‘Pottery,’ Published by The Thomas Maddock’s Sons Company.” Newark Museum Association, Newark, New Jersey.

Secretary of State. 1914. “Corporations of New Jersey, List of Certificates to December 31, 1911.” MacCrellish & Quigley, Trenton, New Jersey.

Harney, W.J. 1929. “Trenton’s First Potteries.” Sunday Times Advertiser, July 7, 14, 21 and 28, 1929.

Thorn, C. Jordan. 1947. “Handbook of Old Pottery & Porcelain Marks.” Tudor Publishing Company, New York, New York.

Abramson, D.V. and T. Karschner. 1978. “An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, Trenton, New Jersey. – On file, New Jersey Historic Preservation Office (NJDEP), Trenton, New Jersey.

Lehner, Lois. 1980. “Complete Book of American Kitchen and Dinner Wares.” Wallace-Homestead Book Company, Des Moines, Iowa.

Robinson, Dorothy and Bill Feeny. 1980. “The Official Price Guide to American Pottery & Porcelain.” House of Collectibles, Orlando, Florida.

Lehner, Lois. 1988. “Lehner’s Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay.” Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky.

Goldberg, David J. 1998. “Preliminary Notes on the Pioneer Potters and Potteries of Trenton, N.J.: The First Thirty Years – 1852 – 1882 (And Beyond).” Privately published, Trenton, New Jersey.

Other Names

East Trenton Crockery & Kaolin Company; Fisk & Cheeseman; Fisk's Pottery; American Crockery Company

Block and Lot:
213A/2

Historic Street Address:
New York Avenue near Mulberry Street; Delaware and Raritan Canal above Rose Street

Municipality:
Millham

1880 Census

Name in censusAmerican Crockery Co.
Capital130000
Number of hands189
Males above 1690
Females above 1543
Children48
May to Nov hours10
Nov to May hours10
Skilled wages2
Ordinary wages1.5
Total wages in year85000
Full time months12
Value of raw material40000
Value of product140000
Number of engines1
Horse power60